Apply For A Rabbit Spay/Neuter Voucher
*Please note, there is currently is a four month waiting period for surgery appointments.
Ever heard the phrase, “breed like rabbits”? There is a reason for that - they can have a litter every month!
Speak for Animals wants to help rabbits have happier lives and reduce the large numbers of unwanted rabbits by offering a $65.00 low cost spay/neuter program for our sweet rabbit friends. If you qualify for our Government Assistance Program, it is just $25.00. Since this is such specialized surgery, most vets won't perform it. We are happy to work with the Clinton Animal Hospital to provide our clients with low cost options for their bunnies.
Here are some reasons why you should spay/neuter your rabbit:
- Altered rabbits are healthier and live longer than unaltered rabbits.
The risk of reproductive cancers (ovarian, uterine, mammarian) for an unspayed female rabbit stands at is virtually eliminated by spaying your female rabbit. Your neutered male rabbit will live longer as well, given that he won’t be tempted to fight with other animals (rabbits, cats, etc.) due to his sexual aggression.
- Altered rabbits make better companions.
They are calmer, more loving, and dependable once the undeniable urge to mate has been removed. In addition, rabbits are less prone to destructive (chewing, digging) and aggressive (biting, lunging, circling, growling) behavior after surgery.
- Avoidance of obnoxious behavior.
Un-neutered male rabbits spray, and both males and females are much easier to litter train, and much more reliably trained, after they have been altered.
- Altered rabbits won’t contribute to the problem of overpopulation of rabbits.
Many animal shelters will no longer take in rabbits and unwanted rabbits are often given away on-line with no reference checks or abandoned in fields, parks, or on city streets to fend for themselves. On their own, they suffer from starvation, sickness, and are easy prey to other animals or traffic accidents. Those rabbits who are sold to pet stores don’t necessarily fare any better, as pet stores sell pets to anyone with the money to buy, and don’t check on what kind of home they will go to. Many of these rabbits will be sold as snake food, or as a pet for a small child who will soon “outgrow” the rabbit.
- Altered rabbits can safely have a friend to play with. Rabbits are social animals and enjoy the company of other rabbits. But unless your rabbit is altered, he or she cannot have a friend, either of the opposite sex, or the same sex, due to sexual and aggressive behaviors triggered by hormones.
- Spaying and neutering for rabbits has become a safe procedure when performed by experienced rabbit veterinarians.
We chose Clinton Animal Hospital to be our spay/neuter veterinarian because they have years of rabbit spay/neuter experience.